Tuesday

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Author: Kiera Cass
Pages: 327
Genre: YA / Distopian
Source: Amazon Vine Program

America Singer leaves her home behind to compete against 35 other girls for none other than winning the heart of her country’s prince. While this book is somehow compared to The Hunger Games, all I kept thinking about was The Bachelor. Full of makeovers, interviews, dates with the Prince, and the inevitable girls being voted off, all while the Prince of Iléa. narrows down his selection to the one girl who will be his future wife and Queen of Iléa.

I loved the dystopian aspects of the novel (don’t I always?) - the story opens with some insight into America and her family, which was vital in order to understand the caste system in this future world. Families are labeled by caste depending on their career and income while all future family members continue to be labeled with the same caste (career, income, etc.). Neat concept if you ask me. While I was interested in the dystopian-ness of the story, I was not too thrilled with the story overall. I would also like to note, that I did not base my review on any of the author’s antics or mean-spirited commentary with a fellow reviewer(s).

America Singer (ugh – that name! – and she does sing, just in case you were wondering) was an unremarkable heroine. While likeable and very talented (not only did she sing, but she also knew various languages and played several instruments), there was really nothing about her that stood out. I originally looked forward to the competition between the selected girls (because yes, I am a fan of The Bachelor/Bachelorette) – but there was no cattiness or raunchy behavior. Instead I found the girls to be dull. I was thinking maybe The Hunger Games comparison came from the girls duking it out on random competitions (think Survivor) where the last man (or in this case woman) standing was the winner – but that wasn’t the case either.

I found the writing was juvenile at times. I would have liked to understand more of the political background and less of the characters and their personal lives, but it seems the author and I were not on the same page. I also thought it was wordy – in fact, too wordy at times.

Fans of reality television and dystopians (those with a lighter edge to them) may enjoy this one. Sadly, I was not a fan and do not plan on continuing with this series.


12 comments:

Kailana said...

I had this book, but figured it wasn't for me and purged it. Sounds like I was right to do so!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Hi Nely, I was happily surprised to see a post from you in my reader. Hope you are well and reading good books. The cover of this one is so pretty. I don't read dystopian so I'll pass on it. Sorry it wasn't a winner for you.

Aldy Wijaya said...

His info is really good ..

Handshake Greetings From Us.


Alat Bantu Sex

Obat Pembesar Penis

Pembesar Penis

Vimax

Obat Perangsang

Jiten Mallik said...

I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it.Bulk SMS Service Provider in ORISSA

firebrandsocialmedia said...

*Really very interesting post.I do appreciate you for your work.
social media consultant in ct

halloween said...

Such a lovely post.I love to go through this blog.Thank you so much.
scary costumes

devil jiang said...

What made it unusual for motorists looking on, was gucci replica Luddeke happened to be dressed in full Santa regalia. Despite losing the hat, white wig chanel replica and beard, Luddeke fake belly shook like jelly as he he pulled two motorists replica handbags to safety. One driver life was likely saved, as his car exploded not long hermes outlet after reaching a safe distance.
Why not take a few short minutes to watch Santa in action, and imagine what a fendi replica child in a nearby car must thought seeing Luddeke rolex submariner replica in action through the thick, black smoke gucci replica!

Muhammad Muzzamil said...

Once I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- check box and now every time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any method you possibly can take away me from that service? Thanks!...Cccam Server

Hyacinth Marius said...

Recommended for people who love: dystopia-lite, the interview/dress-up portion of The Hunger Games, books about matchmaking reality shows, that prince-falls-for-the-girl-who-least-wants-him trope, books with ballgowns on the cover (easy to find these days), a bit of Cinderella, love triangles, crazy names, stuff going on behind the scenes that we'll find out in the next book, unresolved endings.
we recommend 3 Star Tillamook Hotels Garibaldi House Inn

Mas Rooy said...

Infon Nya Sangat Bermanfaat.

Salam Kenal hangat Jabat Tangan Dari Kami, Kalo Berkenan Kunjungi Balik Kapten..


Tips Agar Tubuh Langsing Usai Melahirkan

Tips Menghilangkan Jerawat

Tips Kesehatan Menambah Berat Badan

Tips Memerahkan Bibir

+++++++ Baca Juga Blogs Tentang +++++++

Alat Bantu Sex

Alat Bantu Sexualitasa

Alat Bantu Sex Pria

Alat Bantu Sex Wanita

obat perangsang
obat perangsang wanita

sandy senlldy said...

Colors are distorted and mediated by cutting, breaking and interfering with the surface of the textiles, creating grids, panels and other geometrical shapes. 3D, air-stuffed and gucci replica handbags mesh techniques are put into play to emulate architectural structures. Excessively even and smooth surfaces mask the tactility of the textile.The fabrics are generally light-weight, crisp and cool to the hand, and high-performance materials are imperative. The frosty and crystal-bright winter light is translated into shimmering metallic- or leather-coatings in surprising combinations.The overall palette is warm with an replica hermes intriguing depth. Fur is a new obvious component in the design of the textiles. Lightweight fabrics are essential to the look, as is subdued decoration, mostly obtained by special weaves and yarns with unique properties. Bonded fabrics add extra volume and density, shaping new, bold silhouettes.

Benish Khan said...

WOW - I was just browsing through & stumbled upon your lovely blog - It looks gorgeous and it has interesting posts that I can relate to! I have to check out these new reads now - I'm now following you via gfc, Hope you check out my blog? keep in touch love x

Benish | Feminist Reflections
Paperback International Giveaway

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines I'm Yours Kit